Prev: Re: Assault Breaker system [SG2] [DS2] Next: Re: [FTFB] Fleet Book Kra'Vak

Re: Assault Breaker system [SG2] [DS2]

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 22:53:53 +0100
Subject: Re: Assault Breaker system [SG2] [DS2]

Thomas Barclay	wrote:

> > Guided single rounds - artillery shell is lobbed into the area where
armour
> > may be found.  AI in shell scans using radar and thermal imaging,
picks
> > target, and shell is guided in, with terminal rocket assist for
extra
> > penetration.  [snip] Guided mortar
> > rounds exist now, and I think guided artillery rounds exist too.
>
> Yes. I think you'll find that they develop ones that they fire
> 'roughly' into their target area, and let the onboard pattern
> recognition stuff identify the AFV to destroy (probably IFF stuff
> too).

IIRC the STRIX 120mm mortar round does this (ie, identifies the AFV, or
at least the type of AFV, to destroy). It is made by another division of
the company though, so I'm not too well-read on it. I'm not sure how
much
data on it is public either, so I'd better not say too much. No doubt
some of you have already seen it in action, though <g>

Overhead attacks (both from off-center-warhead missiles and guided arty
rounds) are going to be very common within a fairly near future, so I
hope the tank designers come up with countermeasures ('cuz otherwise the
SF ground combat games are going to be *really* dull... and I'll be out
of work as well if AFVs are destroyed several miles away from the
infantry :-/ ).

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Assault Breaker system [SG2] [DS2] Next: Re: [FTFB] Fleet Book Kra'Vak