Prev: RE: 25mm Grav Bikes and Rules (Longish) Next: Re: Assault Breaker system [SG2] [DS2]

Re: Assault Breaker system [SG2] [DS2]

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:06:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Assault Breaker system [SG2] [DS2]

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Thomas Barclay wrote:

> I recall reading about (in GDWs stuff) a US system called Assault
> Breaker which was a theatre level system deployed against massed
> armour and mechanized infantry assaults to destroy the AFVs. I can't
> remember if it was rockets or arty, but it was supposedly
> devastating. Now, given that my MBT can now have a top armour of 3-5
> in SG2 terms (which translates to 3d12 to 5d12 for amour roll) and AT
> artillery attacks at 2xd12 for Impact, I'm thinking that some larger
> nastier form of AT artillery would be deployed so as to make such
> arty a viable threat to things larger than a size 2 APC.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for alternate (and perhaps more deadly)
> area or theatre based anti-armour systems? Specifically those
> deployed by air, arty or rocket launcher?

This Assault Breaker system had as it's .sig a nice little mushroom
cloud,
rising into the sky?

rules for nuke use on SG2 battlefields: Set up your game normally, and
play until someone uses a nuke. At this point, douse the table with
gasoline, drop a match, and attempt to continue to play.

(The above is shamelessly cribbed from a WW3-in-Europe paper wargame's
rules for simulating strategic nuclear warfare: Light one corner of the
map on fire. continue to play...)

I don't know about anti-tank use in SG2, but the regular artillery is
already plenty mean enough. Try this: Take equal sized, identically
equipped light infantry platoons. Give one plt a light tank, and give
the
other plt a battery of three light mortars (off-table). Bet the mortar
guys win...they have the couple of games like this we played. The tank
dies, but the mortars keep hammering away. After games like this, I'm
almost scared to try heavy or extra-hvy artillery...

I'd think that there's enough anti-tank weaponry on the average SG2
battlefield already, without adding meaner atry. When every squad has a
GMS/L and maybe some IAVRs, armour has enough problems. And if we move
up
to DS2, heavy arty MAK is already a pretty good 'assault breaker'.

How did the 'Assault Breaker' arty differ from regular arty, anyway?
Just
more of it, or was it a different system?

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)
-- http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9774/ --DS2/SG2/games
webpage--

Prev: RE: 25mm Grav Bikes and Rules (Longish) Next: Re: Assault Breaker system [SG2] [DS2]