Prev: Re: Warfare -- where is it? Next: Re: A sad(?) announcement

Re: The Vector Dilema

From: "Steve Pugh" <steve@w...>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 18:05:02 -0000
Subject: Re: The Vector Dilema

> It takes alot more umph to push a SDN than it does a CT, so limit the
> number of facings that a ship can rotate with each thrust point.
Say...

> Mass 0-4: Unlimited
> Mass 5-16: 6 per point
> Mass 17-64: 3 per point
> Mass 65-256: 2 per point
> Mass 257+: 1 per point
>
> This brings maneuver more into play without violating physics.

Sadly it does violate physics big time. At the distance and time
scales commonly assumed for FT (1 inch = 1000 km, and 1 turn = 20
minutes), the force needed to rotate a starship, even a big one, is
trivial compared the the force needed to produce the accelerations
seen.

If playing in a B5 universe then the turns will probably me much
shorter and the distances rather less and so something akin to what
you suggest would possibly be more acceptable.

	Steve

--
The Ground Zero Games Meta-FAQ is available at
http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/estate/ax16/grunt/meta-faq.txt

Steve Pugh   <steve.pugh@dial.pipex.com>

Prev: Re: Warfare -- where is it? Next: Re: A sad(?) announcement