Prev: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST] Next: Re: Low-Tech Forces in DSII

Re: Low-Tech Forces in DSII

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 20:39:24 -0800
Subject: Re: Low-Tech Forces in DSII

Chen-Song Qin wrote:

> That would be one good way to match low-tech forces against high-tech
> ones, with improvised low-tech and high-tech combination weapons.
Then
> even more so, this type of game (ambush) would be more suited to SGII.
> Maybe a game of some natives offing a single Basil II from John's
Klibs?

I'd like to see 'em try.  And if it happened, whoever sent a single
Basil II out by it's lonesome would be court-martialed.  Tanks always
operate in mutually supporting combined-arms teams.  But since you
mention it, there are a couple of problems with low-techers trying to
knock off tanks.  I mean, how would they go about doing it?  I'm willing
to risk my life trying to satchel-charge a modern vehicle (and have in
exercises), but a grav tank with an 360 degree coverage with it's
thermal imaging, from sensors imbedded in the skin all over the tank?
And an AI to sort out the resulting flood of information.  Then we get
into factors like computor-controlled APFCs and all of a sudden it's not
that much fun anymore.

Once they get buzzbombs from their off-planet supporters, then it's a
whole 'nother ballgame.

John M. Atkinson