Prev: Re: Low-Tech Forces in DSII Next: Re: Low-Tech Forces in DSII

Re: [FT] SOF Insertion

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 15:10:09 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT] SOF Insertion

Thomas Barclay wrote:

> So your insertion is not covered by a meteor shower, but to the
> outside world, a couple or six little hot things falling from the sky
> (from the cloaked insertion vessel) into the ocean are not worthy of
> notice. Heck, the Greys could be inserting guys like that on Earth
> today, with a population of five billion, and we wouldn't know. In
> the future, this kind of insertion is dead easy on colony worlds and
> feasible (probably) even on capital class worlds (for small teams).

Keep inmind I was talking about an insertion against a high Tech level
adversary. Anything less than that is gravy. Our planet has lots of
things hitting it. But what about others? Also you might get a planet
that has a single base or whatever and maybe not even sufficient orbital
surveillance coverage. In that case you can make insertions "over the
horizon". Both Gowda IV and 946 at Rot Hafen are good examples of that
methodolgy. While the assetts drop by the RNS Meadows uses your falling
debris method as cover for a capsule insertion.

> Sure, that coudl be done, but isn't as good. Then he knows to be wary
> (in general).

If you are at war with the enemy, then he is already wary (In general).
The overwhelmingly vast majority of SOF insertions in wartime fall into
the latter method of insertion. There are major EW assets as well as
fire support and SAR waiting in the wings in either direct support or
just in case stuff. Think about it. If you can blank a slice of the
western hemisphere and insert anywhere in North America. How the hell am
I gonna know what target or even why you blanked coverage. imagery
recon? SOF insertion. Assett pick up, LZ survey, etc etc etc. So many
tgts no way to cover them all.

> > 2. Stealth Example. We are at War with Canada over fishing rights.
> The Canadian
> > Navy and RCAF wild weasel units negate all sensor coverage of the
> new england
> > coast for 4 hours.
>
> ?(This is Fantasy...)

I know. Do you guys even have wild weasel? Or maybe you can subcontract
with  that Australian Submarine to get you in <g>

Barclay's bastards.... I like it!

Los

Prev: Re: Low-Tech Forces in DSII Next: Re: Low-Tech Forces in DSII