Prev: Re: Chat on Halloween Next: RE: [SG2] [DS2] Logistics

Re: [DS] Scenario cards

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 09:56:32 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [DS] Scenario cards

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, Michael Brown wrote:

> Prototype Scenario cards for DS
>
> http://www.wco.com/~mkkabrow/projects/DScards.htm
>
> Let me know what you think

I like the cards - they're an interesting idea, and better for pickup
games than the "shovel all the forces you brought onto the table, and
blow
the other guy away" games. We've been playing a lot of those here, and
I'm
getting a bit tired of the...

OK, some suggestions to think about:

- The differences between the command/control setups in DS2 & SG2 are
such
that having more than one command team on-table seems to be a waste of
time in DS2. Commanders (in my experience, anyway) have less to do in
DS2- just occasionally rallying troops, and even less frequently
spotting
for artillery. In most of the DS2 games I've played, the command units
hung out in some solid cover all game...The assumption is, I assume,
that
the very important command functions played out in SG2 happen below the
detail level of DS2 games. YMMV, but two command teams on one side is
pointless except in special circumstances - in one recent very large
game,
we had an independant PA company, with intrinsic commander, drop ahead
of
the mechanized battalion. The PA & batt were controlled by different
players, and having independant commanders made sense. Two for a
homogeneous force seems odd.

(I know these cards started out as a SG2 thing. I gather the 2 command
level thing is a holdover from the SG2 versions of the cards)

-You might want to consider PA/para drop raid/attack cards as well, as
variants of the regular Raid/Advance/etc cards. I've gamed a bunch of PA
orbital assault scenarios, and they're different enough from regular
fights to merit their own cards, I think.

As I said, these're a good idea. Keep everyone posted on
additions/modifications/etc to the cards.

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)

PS: I've posted links to both the DS2 and SG2 versions of the cards on
my
website -- http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9774/ --

Prev: Re: Chat on Halloween Next: RE: [SG2] [DS2] Logistics