Prev: [GZG FT/DS/SG] Four months to go til GZG-ECC II Next: FT Tournament ideas wanted

Re: [OT] Historical snipers(Was[DS and SG] Snipers)

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 15:05:42 +1000
Subject: Re: [OT] Historical snipers(Was[DS and SG] Snipers)

Jim 'Jiji' Foster wrote:

> >Of course, on the Eastern Front in WWII where both sides had serious
> >sniper programs (You think that 13mm Soviet thing was being hauled
>
> Can anyone recommend a good historical book covering snipers in WWII
in general (and snipers on the Eastern front, specifically)?

Not as such, I'm afraid.

My Grandfather on my father's side was a sniper during WW I, with the
BEF. He had the dubious honour of having fought at Mons, then being with
the first wave at Gallipoli, then first and second Somme before being
wounded too badly to be patched up and sent in again.

Most of his tasks were counter-sniper work. Basically crawl into no-mans
land at night, find 3 or 4 firing positions, observe the enemy sniper at
work for a few days, boresight on one of the enemy's positions, and wait
till they fired from it.

He really, really hated being strafed by aircraft.

One other duty for snipers: taking out communications. In his case, the
insulators on the telegraph wires along telegraph ridge at Gallipoli
(the ones between Berlin and Istanbul).

 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: [GZG FT/DS/SG] Four months to go til GZG-ECC II Next: FT Tournament ideas wanted