Prev: Re: [FT] UN ship design Next: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 20:07:14 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

John spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> Adrian Johnson wrote:
>
> > You bet!  Still, there is no getting over the need for grunts on the
ground
> > to do the work.  If you have a high-tech force with 10 guys, and a
low-tech
> > force with 100 guys, the high-tech force must have a BIG edge in
tech or
> > skill or both, 'cause 1 casualty is 10% losses.  Modern doctrine
says a
> > unit suffering 20 - 30% casualties should be retired (at least
temporarily)
> > as combat innefective, for rest, refit and resupply.  With 10 guys,
take 2

Given, but if your armour and weapons mean that (similar to the
British in various Zulu type scenarios, or some US Cavalry with
Gatling gun vs. Native American scenarios) you can pile the bodies
around you in racks and have little risk, then that may be
acceptable. I wasn't necessarily talking 10 to 1 difference, just say
that a future company is maybe 10-15% lighter in manpower because it
has a 50% tech edge.

> > getting the new American Javelin (?) anti-tank missile.  That's a
gee-whiz

> That's a SWEET weapon.  Lighter than a Dragon, and it can punch tank
> armor, and it's fire and forget.

It'll end up like the Carl Gustav though.... you won't be able to get
really good with them because they'll be so damn expensive we won't
let you fire them.... (I've seen many an ex where the Carl Gustav was
not fired due to the expense, and I understand this is in spades with
TOW). Now I wasn't a reg, so I don't have the same budget. But in
Canada, we never seem to want to spend money so I suspect the Regs
have real tight control of expensive munitions too.

> We had the plans on the books until the 1930s, when Roosevelt went
> apeshit and ordered them destroyed.  Or at least that's what I heard.

Some thinker at the Pentagon must have a new set. Otherwise how can
you get our mineral and timber resources (the water you get just by
pumping out of lake Michigan)?	(grin)

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: [FT] UN ship design Next: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown