Prev: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown Next: Re: Chat

Re: Infanty TO&E was[DS and SG] Regt's of the Crown

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 16:15:00 -0400
Subject: Re: Infanty TO&E was[DS and SG] Regt's of the Crown

>Hrm.  I note you include an organic Engineer platoon.	Is US only army
>that doesn't do this?	I note that both the Canadians and the Aussies
on
>the list refer to Assault Pioneers, who seem to be filling the role us
>Combat Engineers do in the US.

That's not quite accurate.  Assault Pioneers included as a platoon in
the
Combat Support Company in a Battalion are not Combat Engineers.  There
are
combat engineer units at the Brigade level and above who do the same
sorts
of jobs that US Combat Engineer units do.  Assault Pioneers are
infantrymen
who have been cross trained in some of what the engineers do.  Their
battlefield roles include mine clearance, demolitions, etc.  This gives
the
infantry company and battalion commanders an integral unit of troops at
their disposal who can react quickly in battle when they need a path
through a mine field, etc etc.	They also act as a battalion reserve,
and
are fully capable combat troops.  The Combat Engineers call them
wannabe's
who couldn't make it as a real engineer, but that's another story...

Prev: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown Next: Re: Chat