Prev: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown Next: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

Re: Infanty TO&E was[DS and SG] Regt's of the Crown

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 09:44:55 -0700
Subject: Re: Infanty TO&E was[DS and SG] Regt's of the Crown

Los wrote:

> Rifle squad (section, whatever) 9 men
> Rifle Platoon (3 squad, PL, PSG, <RTO/ECM>? and weapons squad <2 hvy
autos or PPGs
> or GMS) 38 men

I'd add both an AT element and a GPMG element (VRF Gauss guns or
whatever)

> Battalion (3 rifle companies, 1 support company (AT <GMS> plt, ADA
section, ENG
> section, scout section, Mrtar plt=100 men). 1 HHC company (bn staff
planning and

Hrm.  I note you include an organic Engineer platoon.  Is US only army
that doesn't do this?  I note that both the Canadians and the Aussies on
the list refer to Assault Pioneers, who seem to be filling the role us
Combat Engineers do in the US.	I kinda like having the Engineers in a
seperate formation, under a single officer who's on the division staff.
Like artillery, this allows them to be concentrated on the divisional
main effort when necessary.  This also permits the Engineers to
"FUBID[1]" when the infantry officers are too far disconnected from
reality to let us support properly.  Of course, I also prefer having a
Brigade (not Group, the difference being that a Brigade has a proper
staff to support us!) in divisions like US Heavys rather than having a
single batallion like in the US Light divisions.  Of course, in my TOs,
I also included a Heavy Junk Batallion in the division since it's a
usual attachment down from Corps, so why not get the Engineer staff used
to controlling this asset in peacetime, right?

[1]F*ck You Buddy, I'm Detached.  IOW, "I'll take my assets and go back
to the rear and scrounge some coffee while you do this your own damn
self 'coz you're too stupid to take advice on how use us properly."
Which I've been part of once.

Not that I'm parochial or anything. . .

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown Next: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown