Prev: Chat Next: Re: Infanty TO&E was[DS and SG] Regt's of the Crown

Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 09:31:51 -0700
Subject: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

Adrian Johnson wrote:

> You bet!  Still, there is no getting over the need for grunts on the
ground
> to do the work.  If you have a high-tech force with 10 guys, and a
low-tech
> force with 100 guys, the high-tech force must have a BIG edge in tech
or
> skill or both, 'cause 1 casualty is 10% losses.  Modern doctrine says
> unit suffering 20 - 30% casualties should be retired (at least
temporarily)
> as combat innefective, for rest, refit and resupply.	With 10 guys,
take 2

You can use that as a rule of thumb for divisions and other large
formations.  Because when they take 20% casualties, that translates out
to 90% casualties in the infantry batallions.  Smaller formations can
fight until 100% casualties in some circumstances.

> Actually, we are slowly getting geared up with some newer equipment.
> hear they are considering a general issue of M203 grenade launchers to
> infantrymen - not one per section, but one to each rifleman.	Also, we
are

?  That's interesting.

> getting the new American Javelin (?) anti-tank missile.  That's a
gee-whiz

That's a SWEET weapon.	Lighter than a Dragon, and it can punch tank
armor, and it's fire and forget.

> strategic point of view.  He determined that while the location had
> historically been important, there was infact no present strategic
value
> for a large military force to be based there.  It is not near any
major

He's got to remember that US bases are NOT sited strategically, but
based on Congressional seniority.

> there at all.  Unless, of course, the Americans had planned the
strategic
> requirements of a military intervention across the border, into
Canada...
> Then, the base makes perfect sense.  A force of light infantry could
move

We had the plans on the books until the 1930s, when Roosevelt went
apeshit and ordered them destroyed.  Or at least that's what I heard.

> There was the incident of the SAS patrol of 8 guys in the Gulf who
took on
> and beat an Iraqi infantry Battalion.  The Battalion commander later

With how much air support?

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Chat Next: Re: Infanty TO&E was[DS and SG] Regt's of the Crown