Prev: Re: An idea for a new weapon (semi-OT] Next: Re: EMP (was Re: Space crews and solar flares. )

Re: Space crews and solar flares. was Re: Space carrier fighter philosphyRe: ADLER TAG AAR

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 21:06:13 +1000
Subject: Re: Space crews and solar flares. was Re: Space carrier fighter philosphyRe: ADLER TAG AAR

Tony Wilkinson wrote:

>	  Diesels are quiter for one thing because they don't need all
those pumps
> to stop the nuke core melting.

...but many modern SSNs are able to go at reasonable speeds using just
natural circulation.

> The new "Collins" class Australian subs are
> supposed to be the quitest subs about except for some bad design on
the
> prop.

No comment I'm afraid.

> Sometimes old tech is and advantage. One of the Australian "Oberon"
> class subs entered the boomer base in Seattle without anyone,
particularly
> the Yanks knowing about it until it surfaced.

It was a Canuck sub in the incident I've been told of. Also an O-boat
btw. I might add that Oz O-boats supposedly did similar things though.
Just usually on the other side of the Pacific, where the penalty for
being caught wouldn't be a sonar lashing, but a 405mm with a live
warhead. Maybe they did, and maybe they didn't. Those who say don't
know, those who know don't say.

 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: An idea for a new weapon (semi-OT] Next: Re: EMP (was Re: Space crews and solar flares. )