Prev: Re: EMP (was Re: Space crews and solar flares. ) Next: Re: Space crews and solar flares. was Re: Space carrier fighter philosphyRe: ADLER TAG AAR

Re: An idea for a new weapon (semi-OT]

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 20:59:24 +1000
Subject: Re: An idea for a new weapon (semi-OT]

Thomas Anderson wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Thomas Barclay wrote:
> > This gives me some ideas for a nasty attack in the FT realm.
>
> solar flares arise due to distortions and loops and things in the
sun's
> magnetic field. to provoke a solar flare, you will need to generate a
> magnetic field of magnitude and expanse comparable to one of these
> distortions. this cannot be done (except in manga, of course).
>
> on the other hand, you might be able to slap the sun with something
> (rock, nuke, grav bomb) and induce a distortion in a controlled
manner.
> thus, the sun provides the power and you just have to trigger it.
>
> assuming you wait for the storm to subside, ok. otherwise, you get hit
> too, and you don't have an atmosphere and a magnetic field to protect
you.

> > Sounds nasty to me.

....As Used by the (in)famous astronomer Fred Hoyle in his book "Rockets
in Ursa Major". From memory, a few hundred tons of Lithium Hydride added
to the photosphere caused a massive radiation flux, strilising any part
of the solar system not covered by a dense atmosphere.

This was a defensive weapon... many bad effects on the Earth, but
basically all the ships in the system were toast.

Worth a read.
 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo