Prev: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST] Next: Re: ADLER TAG AAR (and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 17:29:55 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Randall Case wrongly wrote:
> Thomas Anderson wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Los wrote:
> > > Why would Italy or Spain want to start signing "Le Marsialles"?
(Don't
> > > get me wrong I love that song). Why the hell would Americans or
Canadians
> > > want "God Save the Queen"?
> > unlike the europeans in the fse (and see my earlier remark re 'ode
> > joy' being the current, anational, euro-tune), the yanks don't
really get
> > a choice in this matter. anyway, god save the queen is the
commonwealth
> > anthem, and canada is still in that.
> > Tom
>   <and add in the conversion of the Baptists to the Anglician Church!>
> Hehehehehehe!! You poor Brits have no clue what you have done! The
Second
> Seccessionist War was actually a very clever American ploy to absorb
Britian
> and Canada! ; )
<not-serious>

if anthing, it was a canadian ploy; these people, seemingly so innocent
and goodwilled, are in fact a nation of insane megalomaniacs who will
stop
at nothing to absorb the rest of the world into their evil pluralist
federation!

> Ya'll intervined and 'forced' the U.S. to join the Confederation (
> Confederation!! D'OH!)

hmm. 'commonwealth', surely?

> under the monarch of the U.K.... no problem!	We get the
> King every few months (tourist dollars), plus we get to fill
Parliament with
> American MPs.

and, of course, the american constituencies are ten times larger than
the
british ones,and so return half as many mps, and there are property
qualifications for full citizenship for american-born subjects.

> Ever notice how the last several PMs have been Neo-Torys  with
> Southern accents??? ; )

yes, but southern = devon. even scarier.

> LOL!! Next time you hear a fellow Confederate (!)
> singing "God Save the King", you might want to listen closer... he
might be
> singing "America the Beautiful!" LOL!! A win/win prospect for us : )

this will be because, being a colonial (aussies, canuks and other
veteran
colonials exempted), he is a tone-deaf fool and cannot determine which
song is playing! as evidence, i call meatloaf to the stand.

by far the scariest thing is the Anglian in NAC. the adjective for
britain
is british or britannic, and for england is england. anglian really
means
that bit between, roughly, cambridge and the channel, north to the wash
and south to london, wherein one can find those wonderful counties of
essex and norfolk. the idea of these people wandering about in
battleships
ruling a good chunk of outer space sends shivers down the spine ...

</not-serious>
Tom