Prev: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown Next: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

EMP (was Re: Space crews and solar flares. )

From: Christopher Pratt <valen@g...>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 11:52:50 -0400
Subject: EMP (was Re: Space crews and solar flares. )

Tony Wilkinson wrote:

> At 18:29 21/10/98 -0400, you wrote:
> >Do you think on the rare occasion when a sub surfaces (BTW missile
subs NEVER
> >surface, attack subs surface when they are coming into port and ging
out)
> That
> >crew members are allowed to even go topside? I too have a lot of
friends that
> >are sunbmariners and live near Groton which is one of the biggest sub
base
> >around. When subs are surfaced there's a few (4 or 5) crewmembers up
there,
> >it's not time for the crew to get out there and sunbathe. The
majority of the
> >crew will not see the sun again until the tour is over.
> >

>	  Even on diesels the crew never sees sun until the cruise is
over.

> >I aboslutely agree. But I think you undersetimate the endurance
ability of
> >crews. OK I'll leave a few rooms open for a holodeck. BTW Diesel
boats? You
> >mean some navies still grub around in those things? <grin>
>
>	  Diesels are quiter for one thing because they don't need all
those pumps
> to stop the nuke core melting. The new "Collins" class Australian subs
are
> supposed to be the quitest subs about except for some bad design on
the
> prop. Sometimes old tech is and advantage. One of the Australian
"Oberon"
> class subs entered the boomer base in Seattle without anyone,
particularly
> the Yanks knowing about it until it surfaced. The Russians have
continued
> to use values in much of their military electronic gear because it is
less
> vulernable to EMP (electro magnetic pluse) effects which is basically
what
> you get during a solar flare or exploding a suitable nuke in orbit.
>
>	  Tony.
>	  twilko@ozemail.com.au

Just something that came up the other day, is there any way
to create
a EMP with out blowing a nuke, triggering a solar flare,
etc...etc... (perhaps less destructive).

later
christopher pratt
valen@gatecom.com

Prev: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown Next: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]