Prev: (FT)(OT) (FT-Variant) Fwd: ad2300] Player Wanted Next: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

Re: Theater Air Defense Systems

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 21:50:21 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: Theater Air Defense Systems

i really like this THAAD idea, and roughly similar ideas, because it
provides a really good reason why the first wave has to be marines in
small landers or drop capsules.

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Thomas Barclay wrote:
> Phillip spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> >	Yes, the goal is to force PA/Drop troop actions against a
facility like
> > this, either that or you land in an adjacent planetary zone and walk
into
> > your enemy's holdings.  This means that a deteremined defender can
extend
> > the lenght of the campeign by having a few of these things.
>
> Depth in defence forcing your enemy to drop outside your main areas
> and advance by land.

i submit in support the testimony of one Gunner/Driver David M Kassel
(iirc), to be found in the front of the ds2 rulebook; he reckons that
usually, the force lands away from major centres and rolls in overland.
assume that any air defence in the drop zone would be given a thorough
munching by ortillery, since there won't be much collateral damage.

however, in this case (assault on M'hung Du), the force went in directly
on top of the target, and got shot to pieces. this is why, if you want
drop right on top of a defended area, you need to send in the marines
first to knuck out air defence.

> These could even be up once PDCs are
> neutralized. Or maybe you have to take out both before landers can
> come in. Probably. That would make for intense drop troop/small
> lander actions since I'm sure both are heavily emplaced. I'd also
> figure that these would be tuned to killing mid size (say SG2 size
> 2+) landers whereas PDCs take out FT ships.

this is the thing; your THAAD units are crucial to your defence plan, so
you'll dig them in and provide defenders. marines in pa with no armour,
probably very little air support and no ortillery (this is a high-value
target) will have a bloody hard time doing it. still, they are (a)
powered
(b) more concentrated, and so numerically superior (c) better trained
and
equipped. should be a fun scenario!

> Neat concept.

you can say that again.