Prev: RE: Awards and Anthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST] Next: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

From: "Jim 'Jiji' Foster" <jiji@m...>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 09:44:30 -0700
Subject: Re: Awards and ANthems(and now some background) [OT] [HIST]

---
Jim 'Jiji' Foster / jfoster@nospam.kansas.net / Jiji @ AnimeMUCK

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 14:28:32   Thomas Anderson wrote:
>On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, John M. Atkinson wrote:
>> And Re: Orthodox vs Catholic--in my background religion plays a very
>> prominent part, it's part and parcel of basing it on the 11th
century.
>> No purges or auto-da-fes, but the Pope and the FSE have a very cozy
>> relationship, the Romanovs have their pet Patriarch of Moscow in
Exile
>> (Not to be confused with the Patriarch of Moscow which is the puppet
of
>> the Communist Party in Moscow, nor with the Patriarch of Moscow
>> recognized by the Ecumenical Patriarch of New Rome), etc., and of
course
>> the IF has more than a few mullahs involved in their politics.  The
New
>> Roman Empire, of course, has an entire Orthodox hierarchy,
>
>and, of course, the New Anglian Commonwealth has the New Anglian Church
>(the archbishop of canterbury sent a few divisions over and 'converted'
>the baptists ...).

Who have since sought political asylum in Texas. Actually, I'd think it
would be kind of tough to nationalize American religion... there are
something like 6,000 different sects of Protestant Christianity alone at
last count... and who knows what else.

Granted, a lot of those would fade out if serious persecution was
arranged, and I'm sure if there was a national church, political
flunkies would flock to it. Frankly, thought, I think the national
religion of the US is going to remain gold & guns.

We got your prophet motive right here, bubba... ;)

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/  Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums