Prev: 䕒›婇⁇楆瑣潩썒璶䠠晡湥瀠㔮 Next: Re: FB Fighter Questions (longish)

Re: [null] nothing [OT]

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 14:37:33 -0500
Subject: Re: [null] nothing [OT]

Thomas spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> > I regret that I will have to plead the 5th, Senator. Ah.... I'm
> > Canadian.... can't do that eh? Shucks.
>
> well, given that you've only had a constitution since 1984, you
haven't
> had time to add amendments. just be thankful you're not living in
> post-Omagh uk - not saying anything can land you in the clink. various
> monastic orders are taking a right battering ...

Yikes. As to our Constitution (which our Supreme Court occaisionally
flouts with the basic premise Because We Don't Like It), we've made
it (like the US Constitution, only moreso) really hard to amend.
Impossible almost. Which wouldn't be bad if the document itself were
as well written. The US Constitution's framers were about the best
you could hope for in a Committee. The Canadian Constitution and
associated Charter of Rights and Freedoms (which I'm told contradicts
it in several areas) were both written by vast committee. Thus they
have all the blandness and baggage that comes with that. I may not
like everything about USA, but they have a great Constitution and a
good idea of what a Senate should be (Elected!).

YMMV. I'm going to stop this thread now before I get the
ListAdminGod(tm) on me for wandering too far afield.....

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: 䕒›婇⁇楆瑣潩썒璶䠠晡湥瀠㔮 Next: Re: FB Fighter Questions (longish)