Prev: [FT] [GZG] Beanstalks Next: RE: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

RE: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 22:09:27 -0500
Subject: RE: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

Glover, spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> What I object to in the pre-measuring is when a player, for example,
moves a
> Regular squad to within say 19 inches of an opponents Green squad
knowing
> that his Regulars are within 3 Range Bands and knowing that his
opponents
> are at 4 Range bands. If in hard cover then he is unable to be fired
upon by
> the Greens. This is different to staying out of a weapons range as in
FT or
> DS as the player is, in this case positioning, his squad based on the
> knowledge of the opposition squad Quality. This is an "intangible"
that is
> only revealed on the table; troops on the ground would not be able to
> rationalise and say "Oh, these guys can only fire with reasonable
effect at
> 200m so if sit here at 210m my fire will be more accurate!!".

Of course, this can be defeated by hiding squad qualities (put them
on a sheet, or keep the counters flipped down and use some other
method to illustrate that they have moved). They the only ways you'd
know are
1. Your intel todl you	(before the game or maybe as an EW spotting
type action)
2. determinism (boy those guys can't hit squat, I think they might be
green) when they fire - but by then you've made some of these
decisions

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: [FT] [GZG] Beanstalks Next: RE: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle