Prev: Re: [OT?] Indigenous insurgencies Next: Re: GZG FH: Blue water navy.

RE: Planetary defenses

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 15:41:49 -0500
Subject: RE: Planetary defenses

Jean-Pierre spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> It seems that technology is better at destroying live habitats than
> sustaining them.  At the present time, we are able to pulverize large
> cities.  In the years where technology will be able to carry large
ships
> through solar systems in a reasonable amount of time, then I believe
the
> same technology could be used to destroy (or make unhabitable) large
area of
> terrain.

Point taken. But then the defences may have moved forth apace.

> You are referring to wars as we have known them.  Bio-wars and the
likes
> will bring a very different reality.

True, but they are a total unknown. We can't scope them. It is just
possible that biowars will be a fizzle (ie you inject your designer
bug, and something in the native ecosphere kills it dead). Or they
could beat Nukes for destructiveness. It's all a *projection*.

This future is all what we make it anyway....

> > Why do I get the feeling when you speak of getting rid of rodents
> > this is a reference to what you plan to have your ESU fleet do to
> > your gaming companions, JP? (Grin)
> >
> Actually, I think I was thinking about you :-)

How touching. When Tom M next runs his con scenario, remind me to set
myself up on the opposite side of the board....just to give you the
chance to eat those fighting word.... :-)

Tom

Prev: Re: [OT?] Indigenous insurgencies Next: Re: GZG FH: Blue water navy.