Prev: Re: subs in spaaace Next: RE: Planetary defenses

Re: [OT?] Indigenous insurgencies

From: Jonathan Jarrard <jjarrard@f...>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:21:30 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT?] Indigenous insurgencies

Chen-Song Qin wrote:

> Oh boy, here we go again.  We're back to the topic of insurgencies.
John,
> you've never answered my question as to what kind of foreign support
> Kerensky and Sun Yat-sen got...

Sorry to jump in, but do those really count as insurgencies?  There's a
big difference between leading a revolution in the middle of a power
vacuum or chaos, and leading a successful guerilla war against a stable
government that has at least a large portion of the populace's support.

Lots of revolutions, coups, and such succeed when a government has
failed to satisfy 'enough of the right people' (to massively paraphrase
Machiavelli).  I think the point is that minority-inspired guerilla
movements have seldom managed to achieve more than banditry without
outside support.

Prev: Re: subs in spaaace Next: RE: Planetary defenses