Prev: Re: Splitting the Mailing List Suggestion Next: RE: Splitting the Mailing List Suggestion

[SGII] Flex Scale

From: Eric Ackermann <eackerma@v...>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 09:41:26 -0400
Subject: [SGII] Flex Scale

As much as I like the design philosophy and mechanics of SGII, if the
truth
be known, I am not much of a skirmish gamer. I am also enjoy collections
and painting 25mm figures, though I have no problem playing with other
figure sizes. I prefer higher level of play, with a stand representing a
fire team, squad, or even platoon. I've been playing around with the
notion
of a sliding figure and ground scale for this based on SGII. That is,
the
battle size could dictate what each figure represents and the
ground/time
scale. To wit:

1 Stand is:			   1 Distance Unit     1 turn is:
 1 soldier			     10 yds/m		   5 minutes

Fire team (3-4 soldiers )     20 yds/m		  10 minutes
Squad (6-8 soldiers)	      30 yds/m		  20 minutes
Platoon (20-24 soldiers)    50 yds/m		  30 minutes

Distance Unit: can be inches, centimeters, base sizes, whatever, as long
as
everyone is clear what's being used.

Note that this system requires *no* rebasing of figures. The stand can
have
however many figures on it of whatever size (28mm/25mm/15mm/10mm/6mm)
the
players what. The only restriction is that both sides use the same stand
size.

Distance Unit: can be inches, centimeters, base sizes, whatever, as long
as
everyone is clear what's being used.

Much of SGII would remain the same. Certain items of play would be
dropped
or abstracted according to the level of play. For example, wounds would
only be used at the individual level, and would be recorded as "hits" at
other levels, eg, each stand takes say 1hit if fire team, 2 if squad, or
3
if platoon then is eliminated. Ranges could be reduced, or left the same
(which would reflect the increased performance on the future
battlefields).

I've got a (draft) chart converting smallarms ROF to a dice type, one
converting small arms ROF+SAW to a single die type, and a prototype of
an
infantry/support weapon stand design system roughly analogous to that
used
to design vehicles (ie, 5 unit sizes, etc).

The advantages in an ongoing campaign would be considerable. One basic
game
system to learn, with variations at different levels of play allowing a
variety of tactical situations from raids/commando actions to full
battles;
no rebasing of figures use (what you have).

I'd be interested in communicating with any one else who is interested
in
persuing this line of thought either on or off the list.

Eric Ackermann
eackerma@vt.edu

Prev: Re: Splitting the Mailing List Suggestion Next: RE: Splitting the Mailing List Suggestion