Prev: Re: still FMA-40k Next: RE: Submarines in space

Re: Splitting the Mailing List

From: Jeff Lyon <jefflyon@m...>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 08:16:21 -0500

At 10:27 AM 9/28/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi,
>  I don't want to start a major war here <snip>

Me neither.  Please consider all of my comments as being accompanied by
great, big smiley face.

>1) I don't play Full Thrust, so I'm overwhelmed by the constant barrage
of
>FT mails that come through the list.  It seems that about every 5
minutes
>I'm having to delete another FT mail.	It's gotten to the point that
I'm
>considering dropping off the list since there is so little DSII
discussion.

Really?  Where?  Have I been missing them?  :)

But seriously, Dude, there are days that I feel EXACTLY the same way
about
DSII/SGII.  In truth, I think it's a pretty even mix.

>2) A DSII/Stargrunt mailing list might encourage more discussion.

True, but perhaps not in the ways you envision.  Please see my next
point.

>3) A DSII/Stargrunt list could possible decrease internet traffic.  I'm
>assuming there are other list members out there like me that don't play
FT.

Have you considering that those of us who are mostly interested in FT,
but
do have some passing interest in DSII/SGII will have to subscribe to
both
lists?

And that when a topic (such as, for example the current planetary
defenses
thread and the older planetary invasions thread) that applies to both
lists
comes along then it will have to be cross-posted?

And that some folks will just routinely post every thing they think of
both lists?  Or reply on both groups to every cross-posted message?

And that I'll get two copies of every bloody message about space
wombles?  :)

And that I'll have to read everything MORE carefully to see if the
messages
are really identical copies that have been cross-posted or an actual
follow
up on an earlier message?

And that when (not if) a thread starts getting discussed on both groups
by
folks who aren't subscribed to both lists, then they will start making
the
same points independently of one another?

And then I'LL unsubscribe from both lists.

(Okay, well maybe not...)

*grin*

>So, what do people think about starting a seperate DSII/Stargrunt list?

Uh, I'd think that would be a "no" for me.  Frankly, I consider it a
good
day when I keep more that 5-10% of the mail on ANY topic on this list.
Deleting stuff that does not interest you is just the nature of the
beast.

>Thanks for listening,

Certainly.  Same here.

Jeff

Prev: Re: still FMA-40k Next: RE: Submarines in space