Prev: RE: What Figures are people using for SGII how are you painting t hem? Next: Re: Planetary defenses

Re: GZG FH: Blue water navy.

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 12:23:18 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: GZG FH: Blue water navy.

You wrote:

>anyway; i'm not sure that ocean-going ships will wane in
> importance - global trade depends utterly on ships to
> move billions of tonnes of freight each year. i don't
> see many technologies on the horizon which seriously
> threaten this. thus, ocean communications are still
> vital. however, i do not think that wet navies will
> have much use; by then, shore-based aircraft and recon
> satellites will control the seas.

On Earth, where you have an incredibly vast concentration of wealth
generated by trade among two major land masses and a whole host of
minor ones, where dinky little islands are host to superpowers, and so
forth, yes ships will be important economic assets.  BUT, only on
Earth.	And on Earth we no longer have real conflicts--all the action
is out there, among the stars.	There is no real need for projecting
force across the oceans, and there is therefor no need to escort it
with ships, which means you don't have the escalation of providing
bigger and better wet navy ships ad nauseum.  Submarines I can see.
Patrol craft which can dual-hat for brown and blue water, I can see.
But not the USS Enterprise.

John

Prev: RE: What Figures are people using for SGII how are you painting t hem? Next: Re: Planetary defenses