Prev: [SG2] PA availability, police PA, PA figs Next: FT: Action report for WSGS (NSW/AUST) Campaign

[SG] - Competition Results - Longish Post

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 08:58:56 +1000
Subject: [SG] - Competition Results - Longish Post

A little news from Down Under; Western Suburbs War Games Association
(Melbourne not Sydney) held our first Stargrunt Competition weekend just
gone. We ended up with 10 participants after a few dropped out at the
last
minute but it was still enough for a good first time.

Wayne Eaton (club El Prez) did most of the organisation and came up with
some diabolical table settings/scenarios. We played 4 games on a
possible 6
set tables, based on a draw system. Games lasted approx 2 hours 30
minutes,
including setup/deployment.

Well, the end result of the day was .................First Place to Nic
Robson with his Pan African Union!!!! (I'm suspicious about what figures
Wayne Eaton is buying from Eureka Miniatures next week!?) Good on yer
Nic.

The points system was VERY basic. Simply multiply weapon Firepower by
Impact
and add the troopers armour value (for GMS Guidance by Impact). Weapons
were
restricted to standard small arms, no IAVR, mines EW, medics, snipers.
For
Power Armour we doubled the score. Only one platoon command squad.
Standard
Platoon organisations were encouraged and most people did use the ones
from
the Rules book. Quality and Leadership were randomly decided by die roll
before each game.

The scenarios were varied and challenging. These included:

1."Crusoe's Coconuts" - beach assault (the defender got Victory Points
for
destroying the landing craft!!), this was jungle so ranges were
restricted
to two range bands!!

2.A desert scenario with a race to seize two buildings at the end of the
board - the heat was so great that squads were only allowed TWO combat
rolls
over the whole game!!

3.A battle to seize ground near a set of ruins of significant historical
import (this was reputedly William Wallaces favourite shagging spot!?).

4.A operation to recover supplies from an abandoned convoy of five
vehicles;
one action to search each vehicle and then roll a 20 sided die - the
score
is the VPs you get. Greater than 10 - tongue depressors, less than 10 -
LAXATIVES!!

5.Reminiscent of a Bridge Too Far (this one is a bridge tooooo long)
with a
fight to seize the bridge and buildings either side.

6. Lastly a really nasty swamp/mountain battle to seize a hilltop at one
end
of the board. A third of the table is swamp and Power Armour could only
move
along some set paths in the swamp and no-one was allowed Combat rolls in
the
swamp!! The hilltop which was worth 20 out of 60 VPs was also impassable
for
PA movement.

Points for victory were based on subtracting your troop percentage
losses
adding your opponents percentage losses, adding the VPs you took and
subtracting the VPs you DIDNT get. So teh max you could get pecentage
wise
in a game was 270!! Two people acheived 240ish!!

Game points were then decided by 2 points for a win, +1 if you got
>120%, +1
for each enemy squad routed or destroyed, +1 for destroying half the
enemy
PA, +2 for destroying ALL enemy PA and then some minuses for the
opposite.
This was to ensure that you had a reflection of how good a win was.

This was our first competition and Wayne wanted to keep it very simple.
Comments and suggestion were asked to imnprove it for next time; Wayne
is
hoping to run another competition in March next year. A new points
system is
anticipated along the lines of Phil Pournelles to allow vehicles, EW and
the
like.

Certainly any suggestions from the List would be welcomed.

Has anyone actually run a Competition (not Demo/Participation) anywhere?

Cheers,

Owen G

Prev: [SG2] PA availability, police PA, PA figs Next: FT: Action report for WSGS (NSW/AUST) Campaign