Prev: Re: FTFB- After Action Report/Newbie questions (longish :-) ) Next: RE: [really OT]MREs & PA

Power Armour thoughts

From: Rick Norman <thurvin@y...>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:52:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Power Armour thoughts

I am having been lurking for while, so I decide to step into the
waters. I have enjoy the discussion of Power Armor, here a few of my
thoughts...

1. Power Armor will be expensive (compared to standard combat dress),
quirky, uncomfortable (imagine being in a self-sealing can for 2-3
days), difficult to use (lots and lots of practice). Thus only a small
portion of infantry would have it. I image only 10-30% of troops would
have PA capable and fewer would have it as standard equipment. Of
course, this would vary with the missions, tactical thinking of both
user and his potential emenies, terrain, political goals. For example,
in my version of GZC universe NSL Military (due both its size and
other factors)is smallest of the major powers, but it is outstandingly
well  equipted and trained to hilt. Thus,it would have a large PA
troopers element may be 25% to 30% at time and would use lot of IFVs
and AFV of advanced designs. But on the other hand, ESU Military is
probably the largest of the major powers and its infantry, largely
conscripts, would too numerous and unprepared to be PA troops. The
bulk of ESU infantry would use pretty standard issue with a core of
first line PA troop formations.

2. In my opions PA troops would have to undergo various surgical
modification to enable one to wear the "can" for extended periods.
Mainly, various hook-ups to admistor the drugs from auto-medkit,
supply for the food and water, take care of the necessary
"unpleasanties" and a few minor cyberware to interface with suit.
Getting in the PA suit would take longer the most firefights but less
the average artillery barrage.

3.PA troops would be assigned high importance, high risk missions that
is either too dangerous or too vital for other troops. Like stealth
fighters of Gulf War were used. (I know I asking for it now.)

4. I believe that ground and infantry combat will be important, vital
and deadly aspect of warfare for the foreseeable future. But,it will
be one part of battle, a thousand of little things need to go your way
to win the day, or a least not his way.

Thank you,
Rick N.

Prev: Re: FTFB- After Action Report/Newbie questions (longish :-) ) Next: RE: [really OT]MREs & PA