Prev: RE: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: DirtSide/StarGrunt: Air Defense systems

Re: [semi OT]PA & various B.S..was Women wargamers

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 16:00:24 -0400
Subject: Re: [semi OT]PA & various B.S..was Women wargamers

I'm not trying to counteract your vsion of the future. But to me, at
least, it's
interesting to figure out the particulars of how PA works and it's
practicality rather
than "Oh it's just going to be like this in my future." (I know you
aren't saying
that, just tyring to clatrify whay I'm discussing these points.)

tom.anderson@altavista.net wrote:

> i get a twinge whenever i hear 'official background'.
> this is one of the prime reasons i fled GW. the point of
> GZG is that (much worked-over point) it is generic.
> still, quite right. PA is not necessarily universal.

So you claim. But the fact is many if not most of the people on this
mailing list,
despite claims to the opposite do a fair a mount of gaming which centers
loosely or
tightly  on the GZG Universe, their official powers, and other invented
powers that
coexist in that universe.  SO using the GZG technology is a rational and
relevant
point of comparison. Because after all if everyone is playing solely in
their own
little sandbox, it makes the playground a bit lonlier. <g>

> astronauts do 6-hour spacewalks, i believe.

Sure. bug difference between a spacewalk, (not taking away from the
difficulties and
excitement of that) and fighting in combat for your life. But six hours
seems a
cakewalk in PA as long as you can piss.

> there could be a hatch at the back where your buddy pulls out your
> septic tank, empties it out and puts it back.

Yikes, now that is a buddy!  :0 For pissing you could catherterize
yourself, though
that's a painful proposition. There's the piss tube approach also. But
what about
umm"number two"? <g> I don't see the tube thing working that good. Can
diet and
biocheical processes slow that function for the duration of the PA
engagement (Say up
to 48 hours max?) Damn I wish heinlen was more specific.

> >  How about recharging powerpacks when you have no logistical
support?

> this is a problem, unless you have a really small fusion
> plant or something. maybe there is no squad weapon, but
> someone carries a mini-tokamak? solar cells?

Sounds like the fusion plant is the way to go (Now we're getting into
Battlemech).
Seems to me solar cells are grossly overrated especially in an
atmosphere. I'd hate to
have to rely on tat iffy prospect. Maybe the split is a fusion plant
recharger at the
company or battalion level. Power Cells

Here's another thought. Most think of combat suuits as armored things,
built to plod
along a varying speeds, dishing out and taking punishment. But does
anyone ever
remember the SPI wargame called STARSOLDIER? Here you didn't have a PA
troopers. He
was in a cybernetic smart soon and carried  by a grav pack. It was
electronice
intensive and relied heavily on speed, electroni camouflage, ECM and
ECCM.

Los

Prev: RE: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: DirtSide/StarGrunt: Air Defense systems