Prev: RE: PA availability, was: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: RE: [DS][SG] was [semi OT] Women wargamers

RE: [semi OT] Women wargamers

From: Noah Doyle <nvdoyle@m...>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 23:49:03 -0500
Subject: RE: [semi OT] Women wargamers

You're probably going to have smaller concentrations of people around
the
economically important sites - we're gregarious, and don't like to be
far
away from our work & friends.  But multiple sites could be spread all
over
the planet, given a couple of decent runways (easy to make), fuel
sources
(water for H & O) and a few reliable aerospaceplanes or shuttles (we've
got
to have those, or how would people & stuff get to all those ships in
orbit?).  When you have that situation, & you want to hold all of the
sites, a cheap high mobility force seems necessary: Line infantry in
Grav
APCs.  Granted, I'm thinking really reliable 'Traveller' Grav here,
where
crossing the Pacific is an exercise in boredom, not something really
finicky.  Heck, it might have very few moving parts, and a bunch of
black-box-type spares stowed in the back.

Maybe I have a more cynical view of future war, but I'm not convinced
that
the various politicians will send enough troops to do every job.  That's

where the fun starts.  OK, we've got a reinforced brigade, and HOW many
different mining sites to watch?

Read Robert Frezza's 'A Small Colonial War' for a good example of a
colonial operation.  Given the small amount of people and materiel
involved, this would be more appropriate for a GZG far colony than a
near-Core colony, but it's still pretty applicable.

Noah