Prev: GZG List? FT Asteroids, anyone? Next: Digest

Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

From: Niall Gilsenan <ngilsena@i...>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 22:00:12 +0100
Subject: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

At 02:11 14/09/98 +0100, you wrote:
>At 12:03 13/09/98 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>>yes, this is a local figure who we all learn about in primary school.
she
>was a queen of the Iceni, a local briton tribe, who generally gave the
>romans a hard time and sacked the town, which i think at the time was
the
>roman capital.
>>
>>her camp was nearby, and it is my personal (and incorrect) belief that
it
>was at wivenhoe, where i live. in fact, i have located her command
centre
>in the beer garden of the Greyhound pub, where i and some colleagues
have
>made several in-depth studies ...
>>
>>Tom
>>

>	As a Roman (fan) I'm very interested in seeing this barbarian
den of
>iniquity if I ever get to Britain again.
>
>	Tony.
>	twilko@ozemail.com.au

I think I still have a very old copy of wargamer which included a micro
game based on Bodicea and her battles.

Just on the topic of women soldiers etc, I believe the Russians in WW2
had
a few fighter aces who were women.  Then again the Russians during that
war
seemed to be quite prepared to put aside any hindrances to the war
effort
such as gender and get on with the job.  They didn't have much choice
really.

The Iranians also had a womens division (? not certain about unit size
here) during the Iran/Iraq war I believe.

What is the situation in Israel?  Do women serve in combat zones there
or
are they kept to rear areas?

Pardon me if I've drifted off-topic here as I haven't been following
this
thread fully.
Niall Gilsenan,
DIT Cathal Brugha St,
Dublin 1,
Ireland.

ngilsena@indigo.ie
The miscellany (Sci-Fi combat games)
http://members.tripod.com/~Cwintel/Scifi.html

Prev: GZG List? FT Asteroids, anyone? Next: Digest