Prev: Re: Mini Review - New GZG Next: Re: GenCon UK mini-report [semi-OT I guess...]

RE: [SG2] Morale Suggestion: Enfilade

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 20:37:45 +1000
Subject: RE: [SG2] Morale Suggestion: Enfilade

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Jones [mailto:Tim.Jones@Smallworld.co.uk]

>I knew there was something bothering me about the morale rules in SG2,
>something missing. Enfilade fire is missing! Being shot at
>from an unexpected
>direction has no effect on morale.

Well Tim, I certainly agree with the idea of a morale rule here; but I
think
you are trying to reflect the effect of Surprise. Enfilade is laying the
long arc of fire onto the long axis of the target.

Enfilade fire is what machine guns are so good for (Look at the Germans
in
WWI and WWII).

Receiving fire unexpectedly from the front OR rear would be a cause for
morale test!!

We play a modified terrain rule for some games; instead of clumps of
bush,
we describe the area as lightly treed - visibility 4 Range Bands or
maybe
heavily treed - visibility 2 Range Bands. So, Regulars can only see 320m
or
160m max whereas a SF team (Elites) could see (AND FIRE) 480m or 240m
respectively.

So the idea of a "surprise" morale check for taking fire from an unknown
enemy is very appropriate! Quite reasonable too.

The idea of a squad going into all-round-protection is something that I
think SG incorporates into the standard game. I mean, the generic
placement
of figures is part of this gaming system as opposed to a Skirmish game
where
each trooper on the battlefield is exactly where each figure is on the
table.

Yeah, in SG the rules allow you to play the part of the Section
Commander or
PLatoon Commander and not have to Micro Manage each individual figure.

Anyway, Tim. I do like your idea. More thoughts on the die modifiers?

Owen G

Prev: Re: Mini Review - New GZG Next: Re: GenCon UK mini-report [semi-OT I guess...]