Prev: Re: FMA Anyone ? Next: Re: Another TD idea

Re: [MISC] Shock Force

From: scipio@i...
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 18:25:41 -0400
Subject: Re: [MISC] Shock Force

At 09:35 PM 07-09-98 GMT, you wrote:
>On Mon, 07 Sep 1998 12:44:56 -0400, laserlight <laserlight@mci2000.com>
wrote:

>>Essentially, I'm looking for the "De Bellis Antiquitas" of science
fiction
>>ground action.  Is there such a thing already, or do I need to design
it
>>myself and reap all the fame and wealth that would thereby accrue to
me ; )

>I don't know of one for sci-fi. However, I do have something similar
for
World
>War 2. It's Great Battles of World War II, Volumes 1 and 2 published by
The
>Canadian Wargamer's Group. Volume 1 is The Canadians in Europe, and
Volume 2
>is Drop Zone.
>
>Both are stand alone games, with about 10 pages (8.5" by 11") of rules.
The
>rest of the book is mostly scenarios with some historical commentary.
In
spite
>of the focus of the books, they include information on German,
Commonwealth,
>American, and Soviet armour, so extrapolation for those eras is
possible.
>Volume 1 covers an interesting, but often neglected, part of the
Western
>Front, covering Canadian participation in Italy, Normandy, and the
clearing of
>Holland. Volume 2 covers paratroop actions from Crete, and a
hypothetical
>taking of Malta, to Pegasus Bridge and Market Garden.
>
>I haven't tried the rules other than to play around with the mechanics.
They
>are designed for large battles but without a lot of figures (not the
Brigade
>fight at skirmish level that usually occurs in this scale of rules).
They
cost
>$C15 for 75 pages of 8.5" x 11". For the scenario details and maps
alone they
>are well worth the price.
>
>If you were looking to build a DBA-in-sci-fi you could do worse than
look at
>these rules.
>

>Allan Goodall		agoodall@sympatico.ca
>
>"We come into the world and take our chances
> Fate is just the weight of circumstances
> That's the way that Lady Luck dances
> Roll the bones." - N. Peart

I own both sets, they are fast, fun and very playable. They also cover a
scale not usally seen in WWII games, i.e. basic units are compaines not
platoons like spearhead or CDIII.
		Scipio

Prev: Re: FMA Anyone ? Next: Re: Another TD idea