Prev: Re: Infantry Walkers and Other New Figures from GZG Next: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

Re: GZG DS2 ADS: Noah's ADS Expansions

From: "Andrew Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 22:14:48 +1200
Subject: Re: GZG DS2 ADS: Noah's ADS Expansions

Noah Doyle <nvdoyle@midlink.com> wrote:
>>A few notes are necessary here.  Standard GMS's are only good against
>>ground targets and VTOLs in Low mode.
>    I allow that VTOLs are valid targets in high mode and in range,
because
>they can fire at ground targets in range.
>
>XXX Well, that's not a bad idea - I'm concerned about the feasability
of
>it, but that's a personal vision bit.	I think that letting standard
GMS's
>target both ground & air vehicles (except Low VTOLS) makes them a
little
>too powerful, XXX
    Because VTOLs can shoot ground targets while in high mode, I allow
the
ground targets to shoot back at the VTOLs, provided they're in range.
VTOLs
in my game stick close to the ground which is very similar to real life.
They don't sit high up in the air taking pot shots as they fancy with no
fear. Personal vision yes, but I also end up with a fairer game, I feel.

======
>    My variant is based on the capacity requirements of twin weapons in
>turret, which is what the DSII ADS seems to be based on.
>
>XXX Hmmmm.  Hadn't thought of that - the size comes out right.  But I
see a
>lot of single-weapon ADS systems in real life - then again, it may not
mean
>anything.  I was thinking that it was 1 weapon attached to a really big
>fire control system (radar, ladar, whatever). XXX
    Easy enough, instead of mounting two weapons in a turret, just mount
one
weapon in a turret, and multiply points cost by 10. Damage won't be as
good.
Say, only RED chits valid instead of ALL chits valid.
    Or, say, four weapons in a turret, either two attempts at one target
or
multiply points cost by 5 instead of 10.
    In all cases, range as per individual weapon.

======
>>As there were only 2 sizes, I
>>decided to drop one of the original 3; the 20-pointer went, as I
really
>had
>>a hard time seeing a class 4 vehicle chock-full-o-ADS.
>    German Gepard. Twin 30/35 mm cannon AA defence vehicle. Leopard
chassis
>is about size 4, in my opinion.
>
>XXX This one is really a judgement call.  I rate modern MBTs at Size 3
-
>usually with a size 3 gun.  But I've got a lot of vehicle models to
cover &
>I want them all on the same relative scale.  The Flakpanzer Gepard
(what's
>'Gepard' translate as, anyway?), I rate at size 3 - only a Heavy ADS
>system.  I was abstracting the multiple barrels, I guess.  This may
require
>more thought.	The Gepard is possibly the coolest-looking AAA unit
today.
> XXX
    I used to know what Gepard translated to, but I can't remember!
    My rough conversion guide for modern vehicles is:
    Large car:	   Size 1    Eagle, HumVee, Ferret.
    10-20 tons:    Size 2    M113, Piranha.
    20-30 tons:    Size 3    Bradley, Warrior.
    30-40 tons:    Size 4    Leopard 1, M60, 1960s-1970s MBT.
    40-50+ tons:   Size 5    M1, Le Clerc, Arriette, Modern MBT.
    50-60 tons:    Size 6

    20-25mm AC:    RFAC/1
    30-35mm AC:    RFAC/2
     90mm cannon:   HVC/3
    105mm cannon:   HVC/4
    120mm cannon:   HVC/5

    5.56mm APSW:    LAPSW
    7.62mm APSW:     APSW
    0.50 cal MG:    HAPSW

======
>XXX I was thinking about having a Low mode for aerospacecraft, but it
would
>come with some penalties.  XXX
    It's in my site, here:
	http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
    in the aerospace house rules section.

======
>XXX VTOL - I'd make a guality check versus a pretty high number - 5 or
6.
> If they make it, they land OK.  Aerospcecraft - unless there is a
strip on
>the board, it's a crater.  Bailed pilots, OTOH, might be a good reason
for
>a Search And Rescue mission.  Throw out a counter to represent the
>pilot(s), and a few dummies - neither side knows which is which, and
have
>at it.  XXX
    In our personal vision, we agree with Bill Sweetman, and assume that
near future aerospace craft will have VTOL capabilities. So they can
land in
any clear patch of ground in an emergency.
    But, ejected pilots from destroyed planes is a neat idea! I'll use
it in
my "SCUD Hunters" scenario!

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/
Dirtside II Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
Dirtside II FAQ: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/
GZG E-Mail FAQ:
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/Ettiquette.html
FUDGE GM Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/

Prev: Re: Infantry Walkers and Other New Figures from GZG Next: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.