Prev: Re: Finally got my 1st SGII Platoon!!! Next: Re: /gzg/ft2 full steam - yet another FT conversion

RE: Finally got my 1st SGII Platoon!!!

From: Aaron Teske <ateske@H...>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 20:03:30 -0400
Subject: RE: Finally got my 1st SGII Platoon!!!

At 11:31 AM 9/4/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I just did the same--I grabbed a bunch of the Yoyodyne elites, since
they
>were all that my store had left.

Funny, ditto.  I only grabbed six, actually, since I don't really see
*that* much use for powerswords in SGII (see also the "Welcome to ground
zero" short from, um, ??? a while back) but they look cool. ^_^  I
didn't
like the Humbs, so ignored them, but grabbed the last two Shigaru.

>For the record, there were three kinds of
>troops:
>
>Elite, armed with powerswords or naginata,
>
>Humbs, big brutish looking fellas armed with gatling guns, big cannons,
or
>some sort of gauntlet--it's hard to tell from the latter figures
exactly
>what they are supposed to be using as weapons.

Well, if you'r stripping from GW, power gloves?

>And Shigaru, regular troops armed with a variety of weapons.
>
>I intend to use the Elites and Humbs as a Shock Force army...some
Japanese
>corporation.

Huh.  Might also look at the Japanese Corporate Mercs, which I think are
available from Geo-hex.  They're pretty nice, though they're not (from
what
I remember) carrying as much stuff as the Yoyodyne figs.

>I also picked up a bunch of Metal Magic Sardukyn (sp?) and
>Cybertech  heavys.  Both are very nice PA troops.

Yeah... I think I picked up a couple of one type, to maybe use with
Necromunda, but I think I limited my purchases 'cause I was just a poor
college student then.  I'll have to go back sometime and see if
anything's
left.... <grin>

>However, the problem with the Metal Magic figures, especially now, when
>they are only obtainable on a limited basis, is that there is such a
>variety in weapons that is is very difficult to obtain a force that is
>armed consistently.  Most of the lines have at least 4 or 5 basic
weapons,
>in addition to the heavy weapons.

I noticed that, even with the limited selection.  Would probably just
declare the unit to have arms of similar potency until you get enough to
have a single type of weapon.

>My Sardukyn are armed with "Maulers",
>which have two barrels, side by side.	I have not yet decided whether I
am
>going to treat it as a GL or a laser targeting system.

Hmm.  Where'd you get the name from?  I don't remember the packaging
saying
anything... thouhg maybe it did for the Sardaukar... er, Sardukyn. ^_-
(Dunno if there's a connection, but the speeling is *definitely*
suspicious.)  Of my Shigaru, one has a long gun with a clip on the side
--
a lot like the smartgun from Aliens -- and the other a flamethrower, I
think.

>'course, I have to paint them, first.

Well, yeah.  That's true.  Heck, I still gotta unpack all my painting
stuff
from moving up to Dover. ^_^;;	And get working on my Space Fleet minis
so
I can actually run a game at the GZG ECC next year... and maybe some
more
gears... and these guys... and my "kepi" squadron... and even more...

Later,
					Aaron

Prev: Re: Finally got my 1st SGII Platoon!!! Next: Re: /gzg/ft2 full steam - yet another FT conversion