Prev: Re: Finally got my 1st SGII Platoon!!! Next: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

Re: [SG] Resin rant. was Finally got my 1st SGII Platoon

From: Kenneth Winland <kwinland@c...>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 02:26:06 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [SG] Resin rant. was Finally got my 1st SGII Platoon

	Howdy!

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Paul Lesack wrote:

> I just bought 2 slightly understrength platoons: NAC Marines and NSE.
> figured this would be in keeping with the spirit of Canada.

	My roommate painted his NAC platoon as the Toronto Scottish.
One
of the other blokes in our group did the RCR... :)  (Of course, to be
different, I did the 2nd Scots Guard).

> I had to order them in -- and I got shorted 2 blisters. Out of stock.
Oh
> no!

	Give them a week or two.  It happens.

> Has anyone else had problems with the Geohex resin stuff? The Gauntlet
> APC I bought was so full of holes it took me 4 hours of work just to
> fill and prepare for priming. Almost all the corners, etc were filled
> with bubbles, and kind of a nightmare to fill/remake.

	Yeah, it is a mixed bag.  I ordered a ton of stuff last year.
About 80% of the resin was OK, but a good 10-15% required some serious
work, as most resins do.  One of the vehicles that I got (a Gauntlet as
matter of fact) was *abismal* due to poorly unaligned molds.  We just
haked it up and turned it into wreckage (waste not, want not).

	Seriously, if your vehicle is that bad (and some of the resin
stuff can be), just contact KR and work out a replacement.  Geo-Hex is
kool that way.

> Without exaggeration, I would have to say that there were at least 50
> major bubbles (that had to be filled) and at least 1000 minor ones (I
> couldn't face filling these).

	It is the type of resin they use.  I believe they have since
switched materials.  Some of the vehicles that I bought from them
required
almost No work.  Armorcast is like that;  about 2 years ago, anything
you
bought from them required MAJOR filling and work.  These days, you can
paint their stuff right out of the bag/ box (well, you do have to soak
the
stuff first).

> Has this happened to anyone else, or am I just cursed?

	You are NOT cursed.

	Laterish!

	Ken

Prev: Re: Finally got my 1st SGII Platoon!!! Next: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.