Prev: Re: GZG {OT] Paranoia (not the game...) Next: Re: Regrouping Qs [SGII/DSII]

Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 09:27:33 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Andrew Martin wrote:

>     If I had a carefully crafted Imperial assault force, I would be
sure
> that my opponent was using a realistic, carefully crafted Rebel scum
defence
> force. Putting them up against WH40K Epic Eldar, Hammer's Slammers or
ultra
> modern US Army would just be a mockery!
>     It's important that both sides are in the same genre. It should be
> possible to look at each vehicle and infanty element and unit and know
> whether or not they fit the chosen genre.

 I agree, but make sure how? Especially in a pickup game? Against a guy
you've never seen in your life? Ok, everyone knows Star Wars, but what
about more esoteric backgrounds? How many people in the world how to
construct a "realistic" Kilrathi ground force? (I don't)

 I personally think some optionals like that (and playtesting/analysing
them!) are in the realm of things I pay the game publisher money for.

 I'd much rather have that than the current "we knew people would want
play with X so we put them in, but we don't really like X, so it's not
really a viable choice except against other idiots who also take X."

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: GZG {OT] Paranoia (not the game...) Next: Re: Regrouping Qs [SGII/DSII]