Prev: Re: Modeling Solar Sail Ships Next: Re: Gauss Weapons

Re: Damage Control Parties and Core Systems (was Re: Full Thrust FAQ)

From: Samuel Reynolds <reynol@p...>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 22:19:21 -0600
Subject: Re: Damage Control Parties and Core Systems (was Re: Full Thrust FAQ)

>On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 16:12:17 +0100, jeremy claridge
><jeremy.claridge@kcl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>Can you have more than 1 attempt at repairing a damaged system
>>each turn. If you use different DCP's
>
>Yes, but you have to pre-allocate the Damage Control Parties first. If
you
>assign two DCPs to get a system up and running and you roll two 6s, you
the
>extra is wasted.

In the Fleet Book, No.

>I've been considering a house rule where each extra DCP assigned to a
system
>adds a +1 modifier to the Damage Control roll. So, you only roll 1D6,
but you
>add +1 for each additional DCP (or crew factor, as used in the Fleet
Book). A
>roll of a 1, however, is always a failure.

This is the Fleet Book rule, with a limit of 3 DCPs on a single
repair attempt. So 1 DCP repairs on a 6, 2 DCPs on a 5+, and
3 DCPs on a 4+ (50% chance).

>This, I personally think, is a reasonable house rule when using the
Fleet Book
>"core systems" rules. I find that the loss of the bridge is a really
NASTY
>problem, especially on a limited tabletop. Losing the bridge is
terribly
>nasty, as it means the ship can't do anything for 1D6 turns except move
>straight ahead.
>
>Another house rule I'm considering (and I wouldn't use it in
conjunction with
>the DCP house rule) is to limit the loss of the command bridge from 1D6
turns
>to 1D3 turns. I find that with the length of most games, 1D6 is just
too long
>and works out in half the cases to an immediate "mission kill". 1D3
seems to
>be a more reasonable length of time.
>
>>What about the Engines. Since they get damaged in stages can you
>>repair completely dead engines in one round?
>
>I'd say if you want to assign two DCPs to the repair effort and they
both roll
>6s then you can get the drives back online at full strength, sure.
>
>>Do submunition packs have a fire arc or can they simply shoot at
>>any ship in range.
>
>They have a fire arc.
>

>Allan Goodall		agoodall@sympatico.ca
>
>"We come into the world and take our chances
> Fate is just the weight of circumstances
> That's the way that Lady Luck dances
> Roll the bones." - N. Peart

Samuel Reynolds
http://www.primenet.com/~reynol
reynol@primenet.com
samuel_reynolds@csgsystems.com

Prev: Re: Modeling Solar Sail Ships Next: Re: Gauss Weapons