Prev: Re: GZG DS2 WWII Variant Questions. Next: Re: Full Thrust FAQ

Re: Anti-armor mines!

From: Samuel Reynolds <reynol@p...>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 22:05:20 -0600
Subject: Re: Anti-armor mines!

>Richard spake thusly upon matters weighty:
>
>> On 25 Aug 98 at 11:01, Thomas Barclay wrote:
>>
>> > Possibly the same tech as ultrasonic imagers and MRI machines.
>> > Something that can image map the ground ahead of you.... and thus
>> > you can detect mines by their different density properties which
are
>> > thus pretty hard to make in such a way as to fool the detectors.
>>
>> Make 'em look like rocks, visually, and density wise.
>
>Well, it occurs to me that you need
>1. a case
>2. a charge
>3. shrapnel or a penetrator depending on function (could be case
>related)
>4. an initiatior and trigger
>5. potentially, sensors
>
>The idea of being able to make these all of the same density,
>electrical characteristics, and appearance as earth or rock strikes
>me as nigh impossible. The modern MS gear would have MRI style tech,
>Ground Penetrating radar, some sort of EM detector (pick up
>batteries, currents, etc. in sensors and actuators), and maybe an
>integrated chem sniffer. You'd be able to see through the ground and
>get a good idea what is up ahead.

Great! Crank up your ground-pen radar. Some of my smart mines
detect it and fire small, HE anti-radar missiles. (They're small,
but there's a bunch of them!) Now you're back to the grunt with
the belt knife.

- Sam

>Now, the issue (as usual) is when your infantry has to cross a
>minefield but no engineers with cool kit like this are around... then
>we're back to the same old 'poke in the sand' methods used for time
>immemorial..... and some mines will detonate when poked.
>
>Tom.
>/************************************************
>Thomas Barclay
>Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
>Fax: (613) 831-8255
>
> "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot.  C++ makes
> it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg."
> -Bjarne Stroustrup

Samuel Reynolds
http://www.primenet.com/~reynol
reynol@primenet.com
samuel_reynolds@csgsystems.com

Prev: Re: GZG DS2 WWII Variant Questions. Next: Re: Full Thrust FAQ