Prev: Re: [DS2] GEV mechanics Next: Re: GZG DS2 SG2: Tank Destroyers

Re: Tank Destroyers (was: GE Mechanics)

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 19:08:36 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Tank Destroyers (was: GE Mechanics)

You wrote:

>made up for by their small size & fast speed in comparison to most of
then >lumbering MBTs.  Unfortunately, I have found that DSII doesn't

Eh?  US TDs were faster than Shermans, but StuGs and SU-XXs weren't
that fast compared to their respective medium tanks.  Small size is not
quite right--lower silouette is better term.

reflect those >abilities well.	Size does matter in DSII to some
extent, but speed doesn't. >I have tried running what I think to be an
excellent TD, Size 2 w/ Class 3 >HEL, but, because of their small size,
they get blown apart before they get >2 shots off.  The better defense

My militia includes TD which I've used to great effect.  Why?  'Coz
it's cheap as all hell.  No bells and whistles, only 73 points a pop.
Sure, your Heavy Grav Tank can squash 'em.  But you're shelling out 499
points a pop, for which I've bought a full platoon of TDs.

>able to do the job just as well.  I don't remember hearing of any TD
class >vehicles in Desert Storm.  Or, maybe the HMMV has become the new

US Army has had Tank Destroyers in service for quite some time.  It's
just that we went to an M-113A1 varient with a TOW launcher on top.

>in the jungle or mountains.  Then there's the whole AT gun idea, which
also >seems to be invalidated by the speed of today's (& tomorrow's)
MBTs.

Defending restricted terrain, there is still a place for towed AT guns.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: [DS2] GEV mechanics Next: Re: GZG DS2 SG2: Tank Destroyers