Prev: Re: Infantry Walkers Next: [OT] Re: Infantry Walkers

RE: Infantry Walkers

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 16:41:01 -0500
Subject: RE: Infantry Walkers

John spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> I've got to jump in here:  are you guys saying grav technology (not
yet
> available) is superior to walker technology (using some sort of
> electro-motivated fiber tech like in Battletech and some anime)  Both
of
> them are not available.

Well, even toss the Grav tech and insert ACV. But I think the GZG
universe has quite clearly demonstrated the presence (and I think the
quality) of its Grav equipment.

> Why don't you guys argue who has the best baseball team in the year
2225 ;-)

Why, everyone knows, it's the Cubs.....

> Come on, everyone knows electro-motivated fibers are far more
efficient than
> grav engines, it's a known fact!

I think the point is, for whatever technology you decide to emplace
in walkers for power plants, your tanks can harness the same power
plant. If you have some sort of fusion or anti-matter plant (a
requirement for energy weapons I'd guess), then they can both use
that technology. But the walker needs complex motors, gyros, control
filaments, etc. in order to accomodate its many times more complex
range of motion (it does have to walk - no mean feat - and stay on
its feet when firing, fired upon, and when experiencing rough terrain
during transit). Whereas the tank doesn't have to perform such
mechanically complex feats. And it doesn't have to donate power,
weight, and space to the hardware to make this work.

But if you like the idea of walking machines, and want to ignore the
many ways they can be killed (more than tanks even!) and their
potential engineering difficulties and associated cost factors, then
by all means use them.

Most of these discussion will boil down to "I like this" or "I don't
like this" with some sugar coated reasoning to back up the prejudices
of the people involved. It's a game - that's what its all about.....

Tom.

Prev: Re: Infantry Walkers Next: [OT] Re: Infantry Walkers