Prev: Re: GZG List Code proposal. Next: (GZG-FT) I quit Re: Space tactics

RE: GZG List Code proposal.

From: "Tim Jones" <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 12:27:48 +0100
Subject: RE: GZG List Code proposal.

>I welcome comments and suggestions.

Most modern mailers can sort out traffic from the
senders address, thus all my FTGZG-L traffic is autofiltered.
I can't be bothered to put GZG: on every post, sorry.
If this can be done by the listserver itself - all well and
good.

The proposed tags are OK. Any
tag system should be memorable and simple and forgiving

FT
DS2 / DSII
SG2 / SGII
OT (off topic)

There are a list of recognised abbrevs on the FT
FAQ.
Other examples are

[ANNOUNCE]
[OFFICIAL]
[LONG]

Tags are generally in use at moment, but unofficial
and more importantly *optional*.

If we introduce an OFFICIAL MANDATORY tag system then
there might be moaning when people forget to use it, or
incorrectly apply it...

More importantly just use meaningful subject lines and
*keep the subject line in step with the thread*. Use
*was* to denote the subject line shift if you change it.

Incorrect subject lines and over-quoting are to me the
most annoying manifestations on the list:

When a thread drifts on to a subject you may be interested
in but you nuke it unread based on its old subject line.

When a subject line says [LONG] but the followups aren't
long

--
Tim Jones

The FT FAQ is available at:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3565/faq-index.html
The FT FAQ Forum is available at:
http://forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=fullthrust

Prev: Re: GZG List Code proposal. Next: (GZG-FT) I quit Re: Space tactics