Prev: Re: Mapping FT (#2) Next: Re: Mapping FT (#2)

Re: Fighter intercept of salvo missiles

From: mehawk@t... (Michael Sandy)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 09:55:08 -0800
Subject: Re: Fighter intercept of salvo missiles

> Hello
>
> Came up against this one at the weekend.
>
> I fired a salvo at an enemy ship which finished it's move within
> 3" of the salvo.
> My opponent had a fighter sqaudron within 6" of the salvo
> marker. They were not screening the target ship.
>
> Now the problem I had was that the fighters went first which
> ment we had not rolled to see how many missiles were on target.
> The thing which was not clear is that I argued that the fighters
> were engaging all 6 missiles from the salvo since the rules say
> that you roll to see how many are on target. In this case the
> target was not the fighters.
> As it was I rolled to see how many were on target. 3 these were
> wiped out by the fighters.
> Doing it this way would suggest that when I fired the salvo 3 of
> the 6 missiles flew of at weird angles when launched.
> This hardly seems fair.
>
> What do you lot think?
> ----------------------
> jeremy claridge
> jeremy.claridge@kcl.ac.uk

There is a reason for the distinction between Fighter Groups
acting as a screen intercepting Salvo Missiles and Fighter
Groups firing on a Salvo incidently.

Fighter Groups acting as a screen get to concentrate their
fire on those missiles making their final attack run.  They
get to fire on those missiles which would otherwise hit.

In your example, if the fighter group destroyed 3 missiles, that
would leave a 3 missiles salvo still on target.  Instead of
rolling a d6 for the number of missiles, roll a d3, (or d4, d2,
d5) as appropriate.

Michael Sandy

Prev: Re: Mapping FT (#2) Next: Re: Mapping FT (#2)