Prev: Re: TO&E for the major forces Next: Re: Marking extrapolated ship locations

FT High Speed (was GenCon Review)

From: laserlight <laserlight@m...>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 20:30:21 -0400
Subject: FT High Speed (was GenCon Review)

 Oerjan Ohlson
> Mikko wrote:
>
> > hitting three-digit-speeds, you can be on top of a well-known enemy
> (space stations, docked ships, ships in orbit etc.) without giving
them
any
> time to react.
>
> Yes. This is a valid strike tactic as long as you have unlimited
thrust
(snippo)
> No, it doesn't make a very fun game - but I don't find it "cheesy".
Ask
> your enemy to explain how he could determine the position of your
fleet
> with enough accuracy to do a high-speed run <g>

Rather than artificially limit speeds ("Falling off the table kills you,
because, uh...because I say so, so there!"), let us either:
a) devise a reason for them to be low, eg:
i. make a ship buy fuel mass;
ii. say that your likelihood of a fatal misjump increases with your
speed
relative to the jump point (if you use them) or to the gravitation field
you're jumping out of/into (maybe not, as stars do move relative to each
other).
iii. apply sensor rules.
b) devise tactics to deal with them.  "High speed strike incoming?
Scatter
a few more minefield-missiles, Joe, and get me a six-pack while you're
up."

Fuel requirements would in my opinion be a VERY GOOD THING unless you
can
pull unlimited power from a vacuum (but see Encounter with Tiber).
However, developing tactics would be even better.  Anyone on this list
who
keeps up with DBM will recall how Invincible Warbands became a
handicapped
army when the Roman players figured out how to use their troops; the
same
could well apply to Invincible High Speed Strikers.

Prev: Re: TO&E for the major forces Next: Re: Marking extrapolated ship locations