Prev: RE: Terror Next: Re: Terrorism, about 50% Off-topic

RE: UN Ship Nomenclature

From: Niall Gilsenan <ngilsena@i...>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 17:45:09 +0100
Subject: RE: UN Ship Nomenclature

At 07:56 10/08/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Do you happen to have any historic Irish ship names that you could pass
>along?
>
>Thanks,
>Nathan

Well there wasn't an Irish Navy until about the 1940's (we were still a
member of the British Commonwealth until 1949 when we bacame a
republic).
Most of the Irish Navies shipsare named after mythological characters
from
Irish (Celtic?) legend.  It performs more of a coastguard duty than an
actual navy.  Mainly stopping Spanish fishermen from ramming Irish
boats.

Ship names so far include

LE Eithne
LE Maev
LE Macha
LE Banba
LE Setanta
LE Ciara

Theres an unofficial Irish Navy site at

http://surf.to/the-ins.ie

which has a lot of details.

One name I always thought they might use is Grainne Mhaol.  She was a
famous pirate queen/chieftain off the west coast of Ireland around the
the
16th (if I remember correctly) Century.  Although naming a ship after a
pirate might cause consternation.

Hope thats of some help.
Niall Gilsenan,
DIT Cathal Brugha St,
Dublin 1,
Ireland.

ngilsena@indigo.ie
The miscellany (Sci-Fi combat games)
http://members.tripod.com/~Cwintel/Scifi.html

Prev: RE: Terror Next: Re: Terrorism, about 50% Off-topic