Prev: Re: UN Ship Nomenclature Next: RE: SG2, Another close assault question

SG2, Another close assault question

From: Wayne <w.pollerd@s...>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 12:20:49 +1000 (EST)
Subject: SG2, Another close assault question

Hi,
	Sorry for harping on this topic but in a game I played on the
weekend a number of questions about close assaults came up.First I'll
describe the situation so that you know where the questions come from.

A 6 man squad of fast PA initiated close assault against a 9 man squad
of
OU troopers.  The PA passed their reaction test and charged confidently
at
the non-PA equipped troops (I could tell by my opponents smirk that he
was
expecting an easy kill).  Unfortunately for the PA they rolled a 1 on
their
movement dice and moved a total of 2 inches.  After rolling around on
the
floor in fits of laughter for a few minutes, I picked myself up and
opened
fire using final defensive fire.  After a flurry of dice rolling I had
killed one of the PA troops.  In fact it was the squad leader, which
sent
me into another fit of uncontrolled laughter.  The PA troops passed
their
reaction test and completed their move into close assault.  My squad
then
took their reaction test to see if they stood their ground.  Being aware
of
the ability of PA in close assault my squad wisely decided to run for it
and fell back 6 inches, dropping to a confidence level of steady in the
process.  This left the PA squad in hard cover but within close range of
full OU platoon.  Needless to say they all went down in a blaze of
gunfire.

The above assault was completed using some interpretations of
contradicting
statements from the rule book that are the bases for following
questions.

QUESTION ONE:
When is the defenders CONFIDENCE test to see if they will stand and
receive
the charge actually taken.  On pg 41 under "Initiating close
assault",the
third paragraph seems to suggest that the reaction test is rolled once
the
attacker actually reaches close assault.  That is if the combat move
dice
is high enough to cover the distance and if the attacker needs to make a
second combat move roll that final defensive fire happens before the
defender makes their CONFIDENCE test.  Unfortunately when you read the
rules for "Final defensive fire" on pg 43, the last paragraph seems to
be
suggesting that the defenders CONFIDENCE test occurs before final
defensive
fire and if the defender fails this test they can't do final defensive
fire
at all.

QUESTION TWO:
Do the defenders have to take a CONFIDENCE test if the assaulting squad
doesn't roll enough movement to reach them at all.  That is they're
stuck
in mid charge.

QUESTION THREE:
Can a SUPPRESSED infantry squad attempted final defensive fire.  The
rules
for final defensive fire, the second paragraph, states that they can if
they pass a REACTION test at a threat level equal to the number of
suppression makers they currently have.  Unfortunately when you read the
rules for suppression on pg 18 under "Suppression of infantry units",
paragraph three says final defensive fire can't be attempted at all when
suppressed.

QUESTION FOUR:
If the assaulting squad needs to make two combat move dice rolls can
another squad (not the one being close assaulted) use REACTION fire to
shoot at the assaulting squad.	The rules for REACTION fire seem to make
this possible cause the assaulting squad is using both its actions to
move,
making them a valid target (if the other squad can see them that is).

QUESTION FIVE:
If casualties from final defensive fire are enough to cause the
assaulting
squad to make a CONFIDENCE test (in the combat above the PA squad lost
their squad leader which causes them to make a CONFIDENCE test), when do
they make it.  Do they take a CONFIDENCE test as well as a REACTION
test.
Do the CONFIDENCE test threat levels just add to the REACTION test
threat
level.	What happens if they loose CONFIDENCE levels due to the
casualties
(they could drop to BROKEN and no longer be legible to make a close
assault).

QUESTION SIX:
Speaking of casualties from final defensive fire, if another squad can
also
shoot the assaulting squad using REACTION fire (se question four) and
inflicts casualties on the assaulting squad, do these casualties add to
the
casualties caused from final defensive fire and increase the assaulting
squads REACTION test threat level.  Or is it considered a separate fire
action which will cause its own REACTION test from casualties.

The entire close assault sequence has always confused me and seems to
turn
into a huge pile of unresolved and contradicting statements, that depend
on
your point of view, if the assaulting squad fails to reach the defenders
with a single combat move.  If one of the all knowing Star grunt Gods
could
share their knowledge with me I would greatly appreciate it.

(sorry about the length of this post)

Wayne.

Prev: Re: UN Ship Nomenclature Next: RE: SG2, Another close assault question