Prev: Re: New DSII weapon system Next: SG2, Another close assault question

Re: UN Ship Nomenclature

From: Niall Gilsenan <ngilsena@i...>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 02:49:59 +0100
Subject: Re: UN Ship Nomenclature

At 16:56 08/08/98 -0500, you wrote:
>You wrote:
>
>>Niall,
>>     As a point of interest,	I have been informed that 'Afrikans'
>>is a full fledged language derived from Dutch.
>
>It's spelt Afrikaans, and starts as a degenerate form of Dutch, with a
>French influence, a heavy English influence, and loan-words from a
>half-dozen native African languages.  It is the native tongue of the
>Afrikaaners, aka the Boers, aka those White guys that usta to run South

>Africa.
>
>John M. Atkinson

Amazing how my rambling causes everyone to miss the point.  Afrikaans
was
simply the first language that sprang to mind.	I know as much about as
want to know.  Oddly enough I do know a little bit about the
Boers/Afrikaaners since there were a couple of brigades of Irish troops
fighting on their side during the Boer war.  Any excuse to pick a fight
with the British...

And if we really want to get into a linguistic discussion I could start
naming places in Irish.  The point being that with regard to the UN
fleet
in Full Thrust we shouldn't restrict ourselves to exclusively english
names
for places.   This would be more in keeping with the "feel" of the UN.

Or maybe not.  Whatever works for everyone.
Niall Gilsenan,
DIT Cathal Brugha St,
Dublin 1,
Ireland.

ngilsena@indigo.ie
The miscellany (Sci-Fi combat games)
http://members.tripod.com/~Cwintel/Scifi.html

Prev: Re: New DSII weapon system Next: SG2, Another close assault question