Prev: Re: New DSII weapon system Next: Re: UN Ship Nomenclature

Re: New DSII weapon system

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 16:59:13 -0500
Subject: Re: New DSII weapon system

Tom spake thusly upon matters weighty:

>      The PA troops, on the other hand, would be immobilized after a
zap
> from a HERF gun.  I'd still let 'em shoot, though, 'cause I'm a nice
> guy.

1. You're talking about a mega-cannon here. Pretty unbalancing it
seems.
2. Why wouldn't it affect the targetting and weapons control circuits
in PA? If it'll stop PA, then it'll stop PA's weapons rig.
3. I would only imagine the PA would be shielded against such
threats. Perhaps this thing should have a penetration that applies
versus shielded targets of D10 or something and PA should roll its
armour die against that (assuming it has EMP shielding).

I don't believe high frequency emissions are
1. that easy to generate
2. that healthy to generate (can you say cancer, Mr. rifle bearer?)
3. that healthy to be the target of
4. something that military minds of the future would be unaware of as
a threat, hence shielding, fields that block it, weapons that use its
own emissions as homing targets, etc. would all be developed. I don't
necessarily think such a weapon would be such a runaway success as it
seems that people might want to imagine.

Let's just think how many times people have said "This is the
ultimate weapon" or "This will make infantry obsolete" or whatever.
Most of the time, a counter is devised, and such predictions are in
grave error. It may be a tool in the arsenal of the future soldier,
but it is not the tool that renders him obsolete, of that I am
certain.

Just my 0.02.

Tom.

Prev: Re: New DSII weapon system Next: Re: UN Ship Nomenclature