Prev: RE: SG2, Changes to initiating close assault rules Next: EFSB to FT:FB

New DSII weapon system

From: "Tom Sullivan" <starkfist@h...>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 08:49:38 PDT
Subject: New DSII weapon system

I recently finished a book entitled "Information Warfare", by a guy
whose name I have since forgotten, and it inspired me to create a new
weapon system for DSII: The HERF (High-Energy Radio Frequency) Gun.
Also known as the EMP gun, or, more familiarly, as the Pulse Cannon.

HERF guns are able to shoot a high powered radio signal at an electronic

target and cause it to malfunction.  The result of this assault can
range from a reasonably simple system failure, forcing the user to
reboot, to actual physical damage to the target system, literally
burning it out.  AFVs in the DSII background are assumed to be
electronics heavy, and such a weapon could be most useful against them.

Thus....

			   **The HERF Gun**
     Range: 12" (Short), 24" (Medium), 36" (Long)-This is likely a
conservative guess as to effective ranges, but I would rather err on the

side of caution.
     Damage: This is the weird part.  There are three levels of EM
shielding, each of which give the defender a particular defensive die.
None (d4), Level 1 (d6), and level 2 (d8).  None is, naturally, the
default.  The defender rolls his defensive dice as normal, and the
attacker rolls his attack, again as normal.  The attacker then draws the

following number of chits, counting ALL Chits at short range, RED and
YELLOW at Medium, and RED only at Long Range:
     Light HERF Gun: 2 Chits
     Medium HERF Gun: 4 Chits
     Heavy HERF Gun: 6 Chits.
The numbers on the valid chits are then totaled, and compared to a roll
made by the defender using the proper Shielding die-d4, d6, or d8, as
appropriate.  If the attacker's total is higher, the target vehicle
suffers a systems failure, precisely as described by the DSII rulebook,
which may be recovered from as normal.	If the total is equal to, or
less than, the defender's roll, the target is unaffected.

I do not see this as being a particularly popular weapon on the
battlefield, but it could make for some interesting scenarios:	"Capture

X number of enemy vehicles, intact."  "Stop the President from escaping
the board, but DO NOT kill him."  You get the idea.  In addition, the
HERF Gun could be used by local police forces-the author of "Information

Warfare" envisions it being used to intercept drug smugglers, whose
planes mysteriously crash into the ocean, never to be seen again, after
their electrical system suddenly shorts out....
I have not bothered with a point cost for the HERF Gun or for the
shielding, as we don't normal use point values in any case.  If anyone
has any suggestions, though, I would not mind hearing them.

Tom Sullivan
"Men are from Earth.  Women are from Earth.  Deal with it."

Prev: RE: SG2, Changes to initiating close assault rules Next: EFSB to FT:FB