Prev: RE: A question of Suppression Next: RE: SG2 Vehicle Questions

RE: A question of Suppression

From: Gary Kett <gkett@a...>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 23:44:42 -0400
Subject: RE: A question of Suppression

At 11:52 PM 05/08/98 -0500, John Atkinson wrote:
>You wrote:
>
>>Let's face it, we are assuming that the weapon systems of 2185 are
>>pretty guchi and video gamish. So watching fall of shot for a main gun
>>with the Mk One Eyeball is not going to be all that important.
>
>>From talking to the tankers and ex-tankers I know, all of them claim
>the thermal sights are far superior to eyeballing the surrounding
>terrain, and that being buttoned up is their preferred way to operate.
>
>John M. Atkinson

I agree that today's visual systems are a great leap over the past, and
being buttened up may not be as detramentle as it was duiring WWII.
However,
I think that small arms fire on a armoured vehicle still has the
potential
to suppres by affecting the crews morale. Concentrated fire by small
arms
could signal the possibility of bigger and nastier projectiles comming
onto
target, or even bring on the fear of close action by nearby enemy
infantry.
A crew member inside a tank will not be 100% sure of where or how close
the
fire is comming while buttened up in their vehicle. This brings on the
dreaded notion of the "Unknown Factor" which is when you just do not
know
what could happen to you next. Just something for thought.
						Gary

Prev: RE: A question of Suppression Next: RE: SG2 Vehicle Questions