Prev: RE: Strange Idea FT2 Next: Re: New Fighter Types

RE: SG2 Vehicle Questions

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@o...>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 07:48:19 +0100
Subject: RE: SG2 Vehicle Questions

At 21:39 22/07/98 -0400, you wrote:
>	 There is little doubt that the turrets on the vehicle are
probably
>remotes (I believe the vehicle in question is the APC featured on the
back
>cover of the rules book, & the dimentions look too small for a crew to
>occupy). I find it interesting, that the commander is designated as a
gunner
>along with his responsibilies of commanding the vehical. If I recall,
one of
>the draw backs of Soviet, French, and British early WWII tanks was that
the
>commander was preoccupied with loading, aiming, and firing the main
>armanment of the tank. This affected his ability to command the vehical
and
>select new targets. I know SGII is far in the future, but I don't see
how
>these disadvantages would be overcome. Presently, almost all Western
built
>tanks still use a 4 man crew, while Russian and other eastern built
tanks
>operate with three (I realize this is due to an auto-loader in these
>vehicles). I can only assume that the Western nations do this for a
reason.
>I believe their vehicles are concidered more technologically advanced,
so
>it's not because of lack of tech. Any suggestions?

Gary,
	your'e right about the early tanks but more so the French than
the
British. It was one great advantage the Germans had over the French in
1940. As for auto loaders the main resaon I believe that Western nations
on
the whole don't use them (the Swedish S-tank being an exception) is
because
crews object to getting shoved into the breech rather than the round.
The
Russian auto loaders had a nasty habit of every so often picking a crew
member and loading them. I think they now have most of the problems
ironed
out but you still get the occasional "RED" feed.

	Tony.
	twilko@ozemail.com.au

Prev: RE: Strange Idea FT2 Next: Re: New Fighter Types