Prev: Re: SG2 Vehicle Questions Next: Re: No Good Guys?

RE: SG2 Vehicle Questions

From: Gary Kett <gkett@a...>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 21:39:07 -0400
Subject: RE: SG2 Vehicle Questions

>Hmm, all the references in SG to the weapons fits are "remote turret
>housing a ....". The salient point is that they are Remote Controlled
>turrets. So, I imagine we have a weapons screen at each of the
>commander/driver stations. So, in an Action the Commander can engage
one
>target and the driver could conceivably engage another target,
>Priorities allowing, OR the Commander slaves both Firecons and engages
>one target with both turrets.
>
>The questions about firing on the move etc; well come on this is an
>Infantry game lets leave the vehicle complexity out of it!

>Owen G

	There is little doubt that the turrets on the vehicle are
probably
remotes (I believe the vehicle in question is the APC featured on the
back
cover of the rules book, & the dimentions look too small for a crew to
occupy). I find it interesting, that the commander is designated as a
gunner
along with his responsibilies of commanding the vehical. If I recall,
one of
the draw backs of Soviet, French, and British early WWII tanks was that
the
commander was preoccupied with loading, aiming, and firing the main
armanment of the tank. This affected his ability to command the vehical
and
select new targets. I know SGII is far in the future, but I don't see
how
these disadvantages would be overcome. Presently, almost all Western
built
tanks still use a 4 man crew, while Russian and other eastern built
tanks
operate with three (I realize this is due to an auto-loader in these
vehicles). I can only assume that the Western nations do this for a
reason.
I believe their vehicles are concidered more technologically advanced,
so
it's not because of lack of tech. Any suggestions?
	I don't think that the compexity of vehicles should be set aside
just because SGII is an "Infantry game". I think that vehicles are a
very
important part of the game. Most other rule systems usually combine both
infantry and armoured rules since the two are usually always present in
ground combat. I would think that most formations on the offensive would
be
pleased to have armoured support. I can't see how adjusting the ruels to
incorporate detailed vehicle data and rules would hurt.

					Gary

Prev: Re: SG2 Vehicle Questions Next: Re: No Good Guys?